Action for Women and Awakening in Rural Environment (AWARE-Uganda)PO Box 9344,Kaabong District, Karamoja
|Telefon:||+256 772 516458|
- Freiwillige Helfer sind willkommen.
- Frauenpolitik/feministisches Projekt
Formerly the Kaabong Women´s Group, AWARE-Uganda was founded in 1989 to create local awareness of HIV/AIDS and combat domestic violence, discrimination against women and lack of government support to curb abuses of women´s rights in rural areas. AWARE Uganda is a Safe World for Women Field Partner and Grace Loumo initiated the NGO because of the grassroot women were given very low status, harsh climate, mass poverty, high rate of illiteracy, domestic violence and other human and women rights abuses. AWARE-Uganda works in the north east part of Uganda and is proud of having successfully empowered the grassroots women in Karamoja TO KNOW THEIR RIGHTS and utilize.
The mission is to empower Karamoja women build their confidence, and status through their participation in groups in which they can determine programs to secure livelihoods of their families.
• To improve the livelihoods of women through access to modern farming methods/tools, entrepreneurial skills, functional adult literacy, saving and loans schemes to boost household income and food security.
• To improve the knowledge and skills of the community particularly women on prevention, care, support and management of HIV/AIDS and other health impact on the family and community.
• To educate women and wider community on land ownership, domestic violence prevention and reporting avenues and justice systems to seek redress for human rights violations and abuses experienced.
• Paralegalism: They assist the community with women violence and providing access to legal justice within the government system. Aware has trained volunteers to act as paralegal with support from global human rights.
• Home based care givers: The volunteers as part of the work visit the community and support them with food, medicines and care and love.
• Income generating scheme: Loans are given to women to start up an income generating activity in pottery, piggery, art and crafts grocery shop.
• Human Rights: Training and awareness on women and land and property rights and women can now aquire land and own property.
• HIV/AIDS program: Counseling and spreading the words through Drama shows targeting the youth solders and the business community who are on the move from one place to another.
• Food security: Training oxen and women on animal traction for faster food production and a grinding mill and food storage facility to save food for the long drought.
• Early childhood development program: Support AWARE community nursery for feeding and preparation of children for primary school.
• Environment support: Growing of ochard and trees in homestead to improve the health and environment.
• International conferences: The directors and volunteers of Aware has attended several conferences arund the world with women strike, world forum, grassroot women.
Grace Loumo is the Founder and Coordinator of AWARE Uganda.
For other net participants we can offer overnight facilities. Also we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.